Thursday, January 27, 2011

Do you remember fall?

It feels like it was a long time ago but it really wasn't. We headed out to rake up the leaves on the very last day that it was nice enough to do that. John had to work that afternoon/evening but he helped get us started. We all headed out to get the leaves raked into a pile and then loaded in to the back of Johns pick up truck (which thankfully we have big enough yards so we were able to just drive it into the backyard). Once the bed of the truck was full we would drive it down to the leaf drop off not too far away. For the first load, Greg and I went and left John and Jackson behind. Apparently it was break time.
Shortly after our first load was dropped John had to head off to work so Greg, Jackson, and I were left to finish up. Thankfully we were almost done with the backyard but we still had the front and side yards to do. We also thought it would be nice to rake the neighbors front yard. The three of us took a couple more loads from the backyard to the drop off and then decided to make a race out of doing the two front yards. I took our front yard and Greg took Neighbor Lady and Bruce's front yard. We were both doing really well (other than being distracted trying to get Jackson to nap in the truck... Don't worry, we were right there and the doors were all open so I think we spent more time with him than we did on the lawns) but we were racing against the clock since the drop off closed at 3! We hurriedly raked across the lawns making piles alongside the truck, and then loading those piles in to the back. Finally it was just getting too late so we had to jump in and get it down to the drop off... I have to say that it was first time taking the leaves to the drop off and it is fun. We would climb into the bed of the truck and use the rakes or our legs to shuttle the leaves out of the back. At one point Greg asked if he could jump off the back into the pile. Sure! He disappeared!! There were so many leaves that he went right under them as if he had just dropped into a pool. That was pretty funny! After that day the temperature dropped and the snow started to fall... Atleast there wasn't that much left to get up so it'll have to wait until spring. The good news is that it can act as a blanket for the gardens over the winter and might even serve as compost. Here are my boys taking a time out during our grueling raking schedule to relax!
Greg kind of looks like he is thinking that Jackson isn't doing his fair share of the work. I know that's not what he's thinking, but makes me laugh when I see the look on his face.
"Is it OK if I just lie here and eat my hand?? I'm practicing rolling over and it's hard work!"
Greg is taking a much deserved break.... But what is this warm wriggly creature climbing up my side??
Oh, it's just my brother! -Aren't they cute?!?! I love that they love eachother so much!

No comments: